Automatic Chicken Coop Door - Coop Tender®
On this page:
Automatically opens your coop door at dawn and securely closes it at dusk, or schedule door open and close times!
Automatic Coop Door is constructed with solid 1 inch dimensional lumber. Common lumber is treated with an environmentally safe, non-toxic treatment which lasts a lifetime and never needs to be re-applied!
At-A-Glance Status LED Lights make it easy to check the status of your coop door from hundreds of feet away in the dark. ;
Key Automatic Chicken Coop Door Features:
- Automatically Opens and Closes your Coop Door
- Dusk to Dusk or Schedule open and close times
- Programmable Two-Speed Door Close - Normal or Slow
- Internet Enabled - Internet Wi-Fi module sold separately.
- 100% predator proof! Have peace of mind knowing that your chickens are safe at night.
- Digital Freeze Protect Technology - door stays closed when it's too cold outside
- Configurable Dawn and Dusk settings - Comes pre-programmed with standard settings.
- Computer driven digital control eliminates frozen mechanical components in winter
- Works in any chicken coop door opening - 13 1/2 inch wide x 26 1/2 inch high footprint
- No strings or cable – consistently and reliably opens and closes your coop door without tangles, kinks or binding.
- Does not need to be installed level. Install vertical, horizontal and everything in between.
- Simple installation. Most installations only require a screwdriver. Installation screws included.
- Override your coop door Select Open, Close or Stop from the user menu.
- Fully assembled. Nothing to put together. Unit comes complete. Slide into cutout and secure with 4 screws (included).
- 1 inch dimensional lumber - no plywood.
- Treated with a non-toxic, environmentally friendly wood treatment which never needs to be re-applied.
Real-time status information:
The Real-time Coop Door Status Display automatically cycles through key information and displays it in an easy to read format:
- Date and Time
- Coop Temperature
- Battery Status (voltage)
- Ambient Light Value (0-total darkness to 1000-sunlight shining on sensor)
- Door Control Settings
- Freeze Protect Settings
- Door Status
Incorporates our Freeze Protect Technology. Door stays shut on those winter days when it is too cold outside of the coop. Freeze Protect may be configured to keep the door closed based on any temperature and may be disabled if desired.
Small installation footprint of 13 ½ inches wide x 26 ½ inches high. Easily installs with 4 screws.
On the outside: your Coop Tender chicken door opener is solid and durable to last many years
- Solid 1 inch dimensional lumber make this coop door extremely durable and weather resistant
- Treated with a non-toxic, environmentally friendly wood treatment* - will last many years
- May be finished to your liking by applying a non-toxic exterior grade paint or stain
- Leave the wood as it is and Coop Tender will develop a natural patina to give it that rustic look
- Quality computer software ensures dependable, no-worry operation day after day
- Micro-controller electronic technology minimizes power usage and long-term operating cost
- High torque gear motor provides plenty of power to reliably and automatically open and close your chicken door each day
- No strings or cable. Automatic chicken door operates in horizontal and vertical positions
Check door status from a distance:
Coop Tender’s controller features LEDs (light emitting diodes) which can be seen from a distance, allowing you check your coop door status at night with little effort.
Chicken Coop Door Opener LED Status Matrix
|Coop Tender||on||warning (LCD will display specifics)||manual mode|
|Door Status||closed||open||unknown||opening / closing|
|AC Power/Charge||on / charging|
Protect your investment:
Whether you are raising poultry for eggs or meat, there are costs involved. On average, it costs up to $25 per month to raise one chicken2. Annualized, that becomes up to $300 to raise and feed one chicken for one year. If you feed your poultry organically, then your costs could be even higher.
If a predator should happen to get to your flock, losing a single chicken has a negative financial impact. Hopefully it is not a raccoon who gets your chickens - they tend to wastefully destroy the entire flock.
Forgetting or neglecting to close the chicken coop door just one night will provide an open invitation to all of your night-time predators. Coop Tender automatic coop door easily pays for itself by keeping all of your poultry safely locked in the coop each night.
Coop Tender always remembers to open and close your coop door - keeping your poultry investment safe and secure.
Safe, Happy Hens - without the hassle:
Imagine collecting free-range chicken eggs or raising free-range poultry for meat without the need to open and close the coop door every day.
Coop Tender works in almost any chicken coop door opening and operates in any position, vertical, horizontal and everything in between.
Simple installation Most installations only require a screwdriver. Simply screw the unit to your existing coop door opening and turn it on.
Anyone who raises free-range chickens knows the challenges of predators, especially at night when your hens are roosting.
- Have you ever forgotten to close the coop door at night?
- Have you ever wanted to sleep just a little bit longer before heading out to open the coop door, especially on those rainy or cold winter mornings?
- Wouldn't it be nice to visit with neighbors, friends and family a little longer, knowing your hens are safe with the coop door closed?
Most importantly, Coop Tender is Predator Proof! Have peace of mind knowing that your hens are safe at night. The automatic chicken door mechanism cannot be opened by raccoons, cougars, bobcats, mink, coyotes, opossums, skunks or any other nighttime predator.
Predators are the #1 cause of free-range chicken mortality. A recent study by the University of Minnesota shows that nearly 80% of all cause-specific losses of chickens are directly related to predators1. That’s more than diseases, external parasites and mismanagement. Anyone who has lost chickens to predators can tell you how emotional it is, especially if you hatched and raised the chicks yourself. You certainly develop a bond with them.
Imagine safe, happy hens with no need to open and close the chicken door each day! Your hens will be happy and will love you even more... They will be out at dawn when the choicest insects, bugs and worms are out. Your chickens would love to be the “early bird”. At the end of the day, after returning to the coop to roost, your hens will feel safe because Coop Tender is keeping the predators out.
You'll have more time to do the things that you want:
- Spend more quality time with friends, family and neighbors
- Continue working on that special project
- Take a vacation
...all with peace of mind that your chickens are safely closed in the coop at night.
Coop Tender Automatic Chicken Coop Door was designed from the ground-up to ensure worry-free automatic chicken door operation with features that allow you to take full control of your chicken door.
Our Automatic Chicken Coop Door uses the same micro-controller automation technology driving thousands of devices spanning home, business and industrial applications.
We avoided what our research uncovered as a relatively weak point in many other chicken coop door designs. Of all the components which are likely to fail, drive mechanisms using pulleys and string or cable exhibited relatively high failure rates. We believe in the concept of keeping it simple. Our coop door drive mechanism consists of a high torque, low power permanent magnet gear motor attached to a custom manufactured 5/8 inch Acme solid steel worm drive. This, in turn is connected directly to the door. There is only one moving part to automatically open and close the coop door, eliminating multiple, potential failure points.
We also avoided the second most prominent weak point in many other chicken door designs, mechanical timers. Our system is digitally driven with electronic components certified to temperatures from -40° F to 185° F. Coop Tender will continue to operate your door when others fail due to sub-freezing temperatures.
Back to top
Automatic Chicken Door Specifications:
85 - 264 Volts AC (Electric Operation)
12 - 19 Volts DC (Solar Operation)
|DC Power consumption (idle)||0.36 Watts (30mA) @ 12VDC|
|DC Power consumption (power save mode)||0.24 Watts (20mA) @ 12VDC|
|DC Power consumption (chicken door opening or closing)||1.2 - 1.4 Watts(100mA-120mA) @ 12VDC|
|Automatic Chicken Door cutout dimensions||26 1/2 inches high x 13 1/2 inches wide|
|Automatic Chicken Door overall dimensions||26 1/2 inches high x 17 1/2 inches wide x 5 5/16 inches deep|
|Coop door opening dimensions||9 5/8 inches high x 10 5/8 inches wide|
|Backup battery (Optional)||12 Volt, 5Ah|
|Solar Panel (Optional)||18 Volts 10 Watts|
|Drive mechanism||solid steel worm / screw drive|
|DC motor||12 Volts|
|Door opening time||~1 minute|
|Door closing time||~1 minute|
|Operating temperature||-40 to +185 ℉|
Where do the profits go?:
1% of all proceeds are donated to Certified Humane Raised & Handled .
80% of the cost goes directly to parts and labor. About 18% goes to business expenses such as marketing, utilities and supplies.
Below you should see a chart which illustrates how the average cost (price) of one of our automatic chicken coop doors is allocated.
We could easily charge more for our door if financial gain was our motive. We simply wish to offer our product at a highly competitive price so that our customers may benefit from our work with advanced automation technology.
Parts are the greatest portion of the price. Each one of our chicken door openers has over 200 individual parts. Over 150 of those parts are electronics related. We purchase our coop door parts in volume so we pay a lower price. We pass those savings directly to our customers.
Automatic Coop Door Videos:
Coop Door Closing
Coop Door Opening
Coop Door Closing - Slow Close
Coop Door Closing - Internet Wi-Fi Web App
Coop Door Opening - Internet Wi-Fi Web App
Chicken Coop Door Warranty:
|Coop Tender Automatic Chicken Coop Door comes with a 1 year warranty on all parts including electronics!|
Coop Tender® System:
The Coop Tender® System provides the ultimate in comfort and safety for your poultry livestock. The Coop Tender® System modules are driven by the Coop Tender Internet Wi-Fi Module.
The Coop Tender® System provides for heating, ventilation, lighting and predator motion detection and alerts via SMS, Email and / or Twitter.
All system components may be monitored and controlled from anywhere in the world with an Internet connection.
Hover and tap on icons for more information.
*"Zeitgeist Mission Statement." TZM -. N.p., n.d. Web. 25 July 2015.1Alfred, B., P.L. M. Msoffe, F. F. Kajuna, D. Bunn, A. P. Muhairwa, and CJ Cardona. "Causes of Losses in Free-range Local Chickens following Control of Newcastle Disease in Three Villages in Morogoro, Tanzania." Causes of Losses in Free-range Local Chickens following Control of Newcastle Disease in Three Villages in Morogoro, Tanzania. University of Minnesota, USA, 1 July 2012. Web. 17 Aug. 2014.
2"How Much Does It Cost to Raise Backyard Chickens?" BackYard Chickens. N.p., n.d. Web. 03 Dec. 2014.
*We use a natural non-toxic wood treatment which requires no maintenance and is environmentally safe. The treatment creates no harmful residue in soils or water and is friendly to plants, animals and people. It never needs to be re-applied. You can read more about it by visiting Valhalco.com. We apply the treatment to all of our door which are made of common board lumber. We'll also treat your cedar chicken coop door upon request.